Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Trail Running in the Heat

Went out to Memorial Park last night for an evening run. 94 degrees, a little hot in the sun. Made my way from the tennis center counter-clockwise with two power aid bottles and a power shot in my shorts. Coming up the hill on Memorial Drive and a bank of dark clouds started coming my way from downtown. By now I was pretty hot but the clouds were just teasing me with a few sprinkles. They finally let loose as I crossed Memorial to enter the woods and thank goodness as everything felt heavy and hot. Usually I carry a water bottle to splash on my head when it's so hot nobody should be running but since I only had power aid the rain was welcome. It dropped the temperature about 10 degrees as well.

It didn't rain enough to really muddy up the trails except for those spots that were already muddy from the last rain. Didn't see any big snakes this time but every branch I jumped over looked like a snake to me. I saw Richard at the water hole, ran into Johnny Mac on the loop and ran Ashley in on the tail end of her last 1m repeat. All in all a great run. Beats sitting on the couch.

No comments: